60 years old and still swinging for the fences

My dad's 60th birthday happened to coincide with opening day of the Giants home season, so when I was recruited to make a birthday cake for the Giant's themed bash, I couldn't help but get a little fancy. I started with two 9 by 13 layers of carrot cake (from a recipe that the teacher gave me when I took my first cake decorating class) then sliced it up and pasted it back together into the shape of jersey with lots of cream cheese frosting.

Diagram of how to cut the cake (I did one layer at a time) to make the jersey

Amazing Stolen Carrot Cake Recipe
(makes two 9 by 13 or three 9 inch rounds)

1 1/2 c oil
2 1/2 c sugar
4 egg yolks
5 tbs hot water
2 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloved
2 1/2 c carrots, grated
4 egg whites, whipped

Cream oil, sugar, egg yolks and water. Beat Well. Add dry ingredients. Incorporate carrots, and fold in egg whites. Bake in 375˚ oven for 30 to 45 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean).

Basic Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
1 stick margerine
1 8oz package of cream cheese
1 16oz box of powdered sugar

Comments

Anonymous said…
This cake was amazing! I want to make one for my dad!
Angie said…
Anonymous was Angie I just did not have a Google account.

Popular Posts