Saturday, January 23, 2016
For Christmas I asked for a funky bottle opener for my new kitchen (I know, I know, I owe you a kitchen update, but baseboards are far more exhausting than I'd imagined) thinking I would get something like this.
Instead, my thoughtful and well intentioned mother bought me this.
First, I removed the hardware from the board and took the gallon of orange paint that has since become my signature kitchen orange (you'll see soon enough, I may have gotten out of hand with the orange as usual) and gave it 5 coats of paint. Brown, as I've learned, is difficult to cover.
I cussed a blue streak while trying to mount it to my plaster walls, leaving gaping holes I'll have to fill someday and breaking 2 drill bits. But finally, I pulled out a beer for the moment of truth...
Monday, September 14, 2015
Earlier in the summer I spent far too many hours trying to pick the perfect flooring from a few dozen samples Build Direct. You see, they let you order as many samples as you want. Yeah, you read that right, as many as you want. It sort of comes across like an invitation to to go nuts. Trying to select one got a little bit daunting. Eventually I just ended up taking a poll of all my friends. I let them make the decision by making Sharpie mark tallies on their favorites.
Because of Build Direct's minimum order policy, I'd purchased more than enough flooring. I brought it all into the house before the project began to start acclimatizing to the temperature and moisture level in my home. I ended up with Toklo 15mm laminate in Aged Bronze ($2/ sq ft), and a roll of very cheap underlayment ($0.10/ sq ft) from the Hobo.
The one on the top is put in place correctly. See the long tongue going into a groove. That's the easy way. Try to set all of the boards the way I've put the the board in the bottom images will make you crazy. Notice the long tongue remaining in place and the shorter part coming to meet it. That's wrong. Don't do that.
these glass knobs from Amazon for the cabinet doors, and had repurposed the old drawer pulls from my original kitchen for the drawers. Really, all that was needed to repurpose them was fair amount of nail polish remover and scrubbing to make them less scuzzy.
Per Dad's instruction made a "jig" out of a scrap of flooring before installing the hardware. I measured just where I wanted all of the knobs to be, then drilled a hole in just the right spot of a piece of "template" wood to use as a guide so that all of the knobs are in the exact same spot on their respective cabinets. For knobs, this was easy. The drawer pulls, unfortunately, were next to impossible to install because they were all bent and stretched from 75 years of use. The solution was to drill much larger holes than were necessary, and buy screws with big heads. I know this seems like cheating, but it will save you many, many hours and no one will ever know. Big holes. Again, you've been warned.
This was the point at which I packed up my bags and traveled California like a vagabond for a month... so not a lot got done.
Eventually, after nearly breaking a toe on the step up into the new floor, I installed some transitions around the laminate flooring. This took multiple days, act impressed.
Remember the mud room? This turned out to be a solid challenge. Dad was right to take away my floor laying privileges. Installing transitions and cutting around door jams turned this alone into a 2 week project. But, now there are appropriate flooring choices in nearly every room of the house, and we're down to just 30 sq ft. of ugly linoleum (bathroom, I'm coming for you).
Sunday, September 6, 2015
Part III: Flooring, Appliances, and Hardware
Once Dad cleaned up the corroded box and capped of the old water and sewer pipes temporarily, we used some 5/8” plywood to level out the floor where the cabinets once were.
As we got ready to set the sink into a 36" non-Ikea sink base, we used both the helpful tutorial from One Project at a Time and this YouTube video (because YouTube has all the answers). I strongly recommend these tutorials, and could not do better if I tried, so here are my photos. The only hint I can give is that the cardboard that was used as packaging for my countertops that is the same width as the countertops made a perfect temporary prop for the sink when we set it (see bottom right).
Sunday, August 30, 2015
To add insult to injury, other blogs I’d read said that the light finish needed to be removed from the countertops before finishing them. Also, because I was using the backs, I had the sand out the blue IKEA logo. So, I used my palm sander and 80 grit sand paper to remove it. I followed back over with a 220 to smooth it back out. I learned later that having done this scratched up the surface and made it take the stain quite differently. So, everything turned out much darker where I’d sanded.
Tuesday, July 7, 2015
Monday, April 20, 2015
Swear a blue streak when whatever you printed doesn't turn out like you wanted it to. Don't quit your day job.