DIY Budget Infinity Scarf (not a mess)

Although my California friends are still sweating through the 100˚ summer, here in Wisconsin, it's scarf season. As someone who has never felt justified in buying a scarf in her life, I've been trying my best to resist the urge to buy all of the scarves! Everywhere you go there are scarves for sale. Beautiful scarves! Beautiful $30 scarves. I know $30 isn't a huge amount of money, but a little part of me sees these scarves and knows this is a total sham. This is a yard of fabric sewn together at the end. This is not a $30 product.

So, in an attempt this weekend to get my sewing mo-jo back before I have to start in on Halloween costumes, I bought a a yard and quarter of 45" wide herringbone flannel for $6 and came home to make a scarf. 

Since 45" wide fabric isn't quite wide enough to be a scarf on its own, I cut it down the middle. 
I sewed the short ends together on both sides (french seams, because I'm fancy like that) to make a big tube about 22" wide with a 90" circumference (and you thought you'd never use that high school geometry). 
Then, I hemmed up the edges all the way around. 
... and we have a scarf. Not a mess, hardly a craft, but, it got the sewing machine plugged in, so at least it's a start.

Comments

Popular Posts