Mortar board brownie bites

After two years of graduate school, a lot of my good friends are getting their Master's degrees tomorrow, and after two years of graduate school, the parties being thrown are all on a budget. That can only mean one thing: Potlucks! Not wanting to let a perfectly good opportunity for a mess pass me by I made brownie bites into graduation caps.
The brownie bites were made from a simple brownie recipe I found in an old family cookbook, with a little added somethin'-somethin' because it was sitting on the counter and I thought it might make the bites a little more exciting.

Brownie Bites 

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup whiskey
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350.˚ Cream shortening, sugar, eggs, whiskey and vanilla well. Blend dry ingredients in a medium bowl before mixing into the wet ingredients. Spoon mixture into well greased mini muffin tins and bake about 20 minutes.

Once my bites were cooled on a wire rack I flipped them over and put a pearl sized dab of frosting (I got lazy and just used the Betty Crocker squeeze tubes, but you could use melted chocolate here if you were ambitious) on the flat bottom of each one. Using the "wrong side" of store bought (dollar store bought, might I add) chocolate covered graham crackers as the top of each hat, I affixed the crackers to the brownies, then added a little line of frosting (again, out of the tube) to make the tassles.

They were a hit at the potluck, but I think next time I would use a moister brownie recipe!

Comments

Popular Posts