May's Mojito Cupcakes

I know, I know, I have been a failure at the mess blog this month. It’s not that I haven’t been making messes, it’s that I have been making messes that I haven’t been documenting due to my pathetic lack of a digital camera (thanks whoever was at the CGU holiday party and decided to take it home with them despite the fact that it was full of photos of my roommates and I).

But, as promised, it is May, and I had to make my cupcakes! I can’t remember who it was who insisted that May would be the perfect time to test out the mojito cupcake, but that’s the direction that I took this month. It wasn’t my idea though, so I can’t take the credit! I had planned to make them for Cinco de Mayo, but I was a little too busy getting home from my cousins beautiful San Antonio wedding (see the next post for her gift!) and getting ready for my mom’s 60th birthday (the post about her gift is coming too, I promise). But, finals week seemed just as appropriate a time for booze filled cupcakes as Cinco de Mayo did. So with no further ado, my semi-homemade recipe for a mojito cupcake:

Cupcakes

1 box white cake
1/2 cup rum
1/4  cup lime juice
3 egg whites (or 1/2 cup liquid eggs whites)
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup plain yogurt
2 tbsp fresh chopped mint



Syrup

2 tbsp rum
2 tbsp water
¼ cup white sugar
2 tbsp chopped mint

Frosting

1 16 oz container white frosting
¼ cup lime juice


Preheat oven to 350˚. Combine all cake ingredients in electric mixer at slow speed for 30 seconds, then medium speed for 2 minutes. Fill cupcake liners ¾ of the way and bake 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.

While cupcakes bake prepare syrup. In a small saucepan combine sugar, rum, and water over medium heat. When sugar dissolves, add mint and boil about 30 seconds, removing immediately from the heat when sugar barely begins to brown. Drizzle about half a teaspoon of syrup over each warm cupcake so that it can soak in while the cupcakes cool.

When cupcakes are cool whisk an entire tub of vanilla frosting together with lime juice. Use a piping bag or spatula to frost each cupcake and garnish with a sprig of mint. This should make 18 big cupcakes.

Comments

Popular Posts