Knitted Pillow Sham

Although the majority of my recent crafting has been wedding related (my entire apartment is covered in a layer of tissue paper) I have been working to, little by little, use up my stash of yarn and fabric before I have to move again.

Still trying to use up the blue yarn that I had to buy more of while working on the baby shrug, I decided that the throw pillows on my bed could use a little sprucing for summer. Because the brilliant blue reminded me of the ocean and waves, I tried to capture that feeling in the pattern I used.
I adapted this very bad scarf pattern to make it wide enough to cover the front of the pillow. 
The pillow sham ended up made f the ends of four skeins of yarn from different projects over the years. It is part cotton, part modal, and part wool, but all of the colors are just about right for renovating a throw pillow that just didn't quite match the colors in my room.
 

Using size 3 needles CO 84 sts
Rows 1-24
Row 1: K3, (p2, k2 to last stitch) k1
Row 2: P3, (k2, p2 to last stitch) p1
repeat these 2 rows 2 times more

Row 7: K3 (p6, k2 to last stitch) k1
Row 8: P3 (K6, P2 to last stitch) P1
repeat these 2 rows 2 times more

Row 13: K3, (p2, k2 to last stitch) k1
Row 14: P3, (k2, p3 to last stitch) p1
repeat these 2 rows 2 times more

Row 19: K3, p2 (k2, p6 to last 7 stitches) k2, p2, k3
Row 20: P3, k2 (p2, k6 to last 7 stitches) p2, k2, p3
repeat these 2 rows 2 times more

Continue until piece is long enough to wrap around the pillow with some overlap at the back (notice that I ran out of yarn before there was overlap, I don't suggest it!). 
Make button holes by evenly spacing four sets of (K2tog, YO) on one row worked in pattern, then continue with pattern as described above. Work 2 rows more. Cast off all stitches. 

Comments

Popular Posts