Pumpkin hats for fall.

I wrapped up all my pre-engagement party crafts just in time to start a new semester and find myself too busy to make many good messes. Luckily, I got in two cupcakes in August because September was a wash! The one thing I did find time to work on during my busy first month of school was my knitting. Inspired by the episode of Project Runway where the designers had to put together a look to complement a designer hat (and inspired by my recent move to try to do something with my yarn stash) I started in on baby hats. 
To get in the fall spirit I made a couple of tiny "pumpkin head" hats. I made one for my adorable little cousin Lilja who is growing so quickly I can't keep up with her, and one for my good friend's brand new nephew Oliver. They were both simple little hats knit on double pointed needles in the round. The newborn size was 63 stitches worked in a knit 8 pearl 1 rib in size 3 needles. The toddler size (yep, toddler size at 8 months, oh my!) was 72 stitches worked in the same 8/1 rib on size 5 needles. The "stems" are easy to make by switching to green with 8 stitches left on your needles and working evenly for 4 rows before decreasing 4 stitches, then 2 stitches, then binding off. I've been anxiously awaiting updates from both so I could get this blog together.
Lilja's mom and grandmother passed along a photo of her in her festive little hat last week. I can hardly believe how big she's gotten!
Yesterday, baby Oliver was born (congrats to Aunt Caroline)! His little hat has to make it all the way to France, so I'm not expecting a picture any time soon, but luckily I snapped a few before I sent it. 

Comments

Popular Posts