The best scarf is a finished scarf

2014 was a year of new beginnings for me. New house, new job, new state, new friends. But, I have a confession to make: With the exception of my dissertation (which to be fair, is sort of a big deal) I have not finished anything in almost a year. I can't remember the last time I finished a book, or a knitting project, or frankly, even a full-length movie. No, in 2014 I have just been starting messes without any intention of finishing them, which means my craft room, my bookshelf, and my psyche are kind of in various states of disarray.

Thinking about it now, finishing things would have been a terrific new years resolution. But I resolved, instead, raise more hell in Madison and Milwaukee (certainly a more realistic resolution, right?) The good news is that even though it wasn't my resolution, I'm getting the year off to a good start.

I finished something.

I started this white wool "blanket scarf" back in December when Old Navy had a rack of scarves on sale and I couldn't really justify buying one. Instead, I bought two skeins of Fisherman's Wool in white and a size 8 circular needle before getting on the plane for CA to defend my dissertation.

Unfortunately, I got distracted on the plane and messed up pretty abysmlly in a couple of ways.

1) I couldn't decide if I wanted to do a seed stitch or a basketweave, so I decided to aim for the middle. So, I worked one round in a K2,P2 pattern, and the next round just the opposite. The result is not particularly attractive.

2) I twisted my stitches when I was joining the round, twice. So, this isn't just your standard mobius scarf, it's a twisted mess.

Now, my friend Sarah at the fabric store would have said that I should rip it all out and start over. She'd say that the best knitting generally has to happen twice. But, I haven't finished a damn thing in a year. So, it's funky, but warm. And frankly, the best scarf is a finished scarf.

Comments

Popular Posts