A simple dress for conference season: McCalls 8215

It's been years since I made a serious effort to make my own clothes. But, as the quality of clothes in the stores continues to decline and I find myself wondering where exactly a 37 year old is supposed to be buying clothes, I found myself back at the pattern table thinking about making a simple, comfortable knit sundress for spring travel. When I travel for conferences there is nothing better than a wrinkle-free knit dress that can be dressed up for a conference and down for the evening, and many of mine are starting to show their age. 

Although I've never had much luck sewing knits, or anything stretchy for that matter, I decided to embark up on my first real stretch-knit project with $20 worth of JoAnn's clearance rack poly/spandex jersey and a McCall's pattern that said "very easy" on it in a number of places. 


After many hours online trying to figure out how to make my sewing machine cooperate with stretch-knit, I broke down and invested in a walking foot for my sewing machine (not the name brand one, the super cheap Singer brand model that apparently is compatible) and a double needle. All in, my notions cost more than my fabric, but they'll live to see the next project. 

Based on advice from other bloggers, I went down 2 sizes from my measurements on the bodice to get the right fit, and the skirt is so full that hip measurement didn't seem to matter (thank goodness). I opted out of the slit and the sash, but otherwise made view B. 

My finishing is by no means professional, and there's some puckering around the neckline that I'm not sure how to resolve, but in the end I'm relatively pleased with this super simple, soft and comfy sundress. It's not much on it's own, but I think with some accessories I can make it transition from work to play for my conferences this spring. 

Comments

Popular Posts