A fine line between muffin and cupcake

Fall is time for baking with squash and trying to pretend that the addition of zucchini or pumpkin makes it okay to eat cake for breakfast. Feeling the fall spirit while I was browsing Target I found Betty Crocker Pumpkin Spice Cookie Mix on sale, and somehow the bag ended up in my cart.
I knew that bringing cookies, or even cupcakes to an early morning lab meeting wasn't going to go over too well, but if you call them "muffins" people are suddenly just fine with setting one beside a cup of coffee at 9 am.

So, in an attempt to get the cookie mix out of my house safely I made 16 "muffins" by mixing up:
1/2 cup of cinnamon apple sauce 
tsp of pumpkin pie spice
1 egg
1/4 cup of water
the bag of cookie mix 
I baked them at 375˚ for about 20-25 minutes.

Although I worried that frosting would blow their cover, I couldn't help but frost them to make them more festive and use up my Halloween sprinkles.

The frosting is:
1 cup of powered sugar
4 oz of cream cheese
2 tbsp milk
I brought them into the lab, completely forgetting to take a picture. By the time I remembered there were only two left, so regardless of what you want to call them, I'm going to call them a success.

Comments

Popular Posts